Sunday, March 1, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Way up high. There’s a cake that I heard of once on the internet…. I know corny…. work with me people!

While on the quest for the perfect dessert for Lizzie’s perfect luncheon; my crowded brain was racing at manic speed (nothing new). Considered mile high lemon meringue pie; did lemon curd in meringues last year…. cream brulee, 5 flavor pound cake, something chocolate??? Hmm, too predictable…. Perhaps fruit tart with a spun sugar topping??? Decided fruit would go best with the main course. Madly searched the net & suddenly there she was; a psychedelic angel. Needless to say; I feel in love with the picture of this Rainbow Angel Food Cake. OMG factor & it screams spring! Ain’t she pretty!!!


This is a grown up version of the kid’s Rainbow Cake dedicated & highly patient mom’s bake up for their kid’s birthday parties. My inspiration came from a picture of Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake mix.
Being an overachiever, didn’t want to compromise my craft so I made the angel food cake from scratch. Something about beating all those egg whites (13 - count 'em) into glorious, silky, shiny clouds makes me happy, happy, happy. At this point some of you smarter folks are pondering there ain’t butter in angel food cake; hold on to your thongs…. patience my friends.






The finished cake is pretty, delicate & lovely, lovely, lovely. For sure has the “WOW” factor. Ribbony levels of color, The Devil Made Me Do It Butter Cream Icing & the sugared flowers will compliment Lizzie’s Garden. Pretty, pretty, pretty; although I did space on the order of the colors.....





Lizzie had a looksee & was a little overwhelmed by the array of colors so I am offering her up Rainbow Angel’s step cousin Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White Angel*. “Step” Cousin because she did come from the Betty Crocker box….. She came out allot taller than her Cuz; I’m thinking Rainbow is jealous…. She can relax; the cake mix was dreadful & wouldn’t slice right so no inside peek; it is a lovely pink. That being tall thing is soooo overrated! Did I say dreadful; it was horrible, the worst, don’t waste your time bad. The baked from scratch is wonderful!!!
*Name courtesy of FB Social Director Extraordinaire Lynne Belcher Burgess who sent me a game on Facebook where you find the Billboard #1 hit the day you were born. Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White was #1 June 11, 1955 & after watching the video realized it was the perfect name for Pinky!

Angel Food Cake
I went with a recipe from All About Cakes and it is heavenly!!! Thanks Rose; she really has her "groove on" when it comes to cakes!
Note; I used lemon juice & 1tsp. zest instead of extracts
Food Coloring
To make rainbow divide mixture into 3 equal portions in separate bowls & fold in 6/8 drops of desired food coloring thoroughly. Pour each layer into angel food pan; level as you go to get out air pockets.
For one color add about 8/10 drops of food coloring & fold into cake thoroughly.


The Devil Made Me Do it Butter Cream Icing
From Serious Cakes
Note; I used lemon juice instead of white vanilla & 1 tsp. zest

Flowers
Gum drops; flattened & shaped

Plated up the girl needed a little pizzazz; I went with whipped cream but ran out of time to shoot pic. Send me your ideas!
Want Elaine happy, happy, happy & from her comment she is looking for something chocolate; I've got the perfect thing!!! Next week! I know I'm such a tease....


If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, Why, oh, why can't I?

16 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful cake! I love the colors of the layers and the flowers on top are so pretty. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so fun, and PERFECT for a ladies springtime luncheon in the garden! now about next weeks recipe... give me a hint! ingredients include: chocolate, butter (of course!) and ?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. And make sure you bring a piece to me in NJ, Im waiting!! It looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful, I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that cake! And of course it must be delish with the buttery buttercream. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angel food cake is just the best! I love the photo of the swirly, pre-baked batter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm extremely impressed! a lot of time, effort, and heart clearly went into this, so a big ol' bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the prettiest inside of a cake that I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful cake! The colors really take it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this beautiful cake! It takes me back to childhood birthdays because my mom would make me a cake called Jello Poke Cake. You baked the cake, poked holes in it with a straw and poured different colors of jello in the holes, making it rainbow colored. She always topped it with my favorite icing-7 Minute Icing. Thanks for the nice memory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny looking! The dough looks so moist and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So enjoyed your site. Some great ideas and I have to admit pear and any blue cheese are so yummy. Have a great day.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rainbow cake looks so pretty... I just made rainbow cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete